blog related, personal, blogger, link love, everything else
Black Friday is one of the most busiest and most commercial shopping day in the USA, shopping frenzy is unbelievable. Some of our friends and relatives are big in to shopping Black Friday and has so many strategies to get best deals. There are many websites that promote “leaked” deals and how to get best shopping deals and how to stay safe while you are out there. If you are looking for tips to make a best shopping experience, you will not find it here.
All these tips and wisdom are lost on me. I am too lazy to wake up 4 AM to shop and too frugal to buy things that we do not need. I wrote about how about holidays were hectic in past Stress free Thanksgiving and how we are changing it to be more enjoyable by doing less and buying less and doing more things for inner joy instead.
So, as a part of enjoying holidays more, we are having a what I call, a White Friday on November 27, 2009, meaning, we are getting up late, staying in, and not going anywhere near shopping malls or stores.
Actually, we avoid all terms of shopping (other than groceries, and gas filling) from November 20th until January 15th. Why so long? Because, stores are busy with people buying Christmas gifts for themselves and others until December 24th and then going again in store to return/exchange gifts they received and did not like, from December 26th-January 10ish. Staying in long lines to purchase and return items nor getting pushed and shoved while shopping is not my idea of enjoyable holidays, although that is exactly what I have done in past. Not anymore.
About a few years ago,… Continue reading
My blog is too new and with a few readers, and Mary and Arvind sure do not need my small help, still I wanted to point out to few of my readers of this blog to a Blog with Heart Challenge by Arvind At Make it Happen and Mary Jaskch at Goodlife Zen .
To find out more about it and join this worthy cause and help alleviate world poverty and help others see following links; Please help and join, Leo Babauta of Zen Habits is one of the bloggers who have joined this Challenge.
Hope you can help.
Life is funny in a way, as we do get most hurt by people closet to our heart, and not by someone whom we barely know. People close to us, be it close friend, sibling, cousins, spouse, boyfriend, girlfriend, parents, can hurt us emotionally, sometimes with words and sometimes worse. We are going to talk about hurt by words, a emotional hurt here.
How to heal, when you are hurting and move on, when it is hard and you do not want to? I wrote a post not too long ago about being Have you gotten hurt , it was and is very hard for me to deal with.
We can not prevent of getting hurt by other person, as it would be impossible unless we lived alone in woods. But we can steps to minimize the pain and move forward. How so? Let’s explore.
1. Write down in journal or write a letter to them (Do not mail it, or give it to them, just write it for your eyes only) Write everything down you feel. Talk your feelings to someone else who will understand and not judge you. If you can not find/trust anyone to listen, that is okay, you can talk to a stuffed toy or picture of your friend and let it know how you are hurt and how it is making you feel in details.
2. Once your initial anger/frustration is out, you can try talking to a person who hurt you in person. Make sure, timing is good for both of you and there are no other distractions. When you talk, keep flow and mind open. Do not accuse or attack person but talk about situation in focus. Once you talk, listen to other person’s explanations. It simply could be that person, never realized… Continue reading
There is a frugal in me wants to save money as much possible when purchasing an item. However, with time I have learned that spending money on a few quality items that get used everyday is often is worth it. As we will use those items for years to come, thus saving money in long term. See my other post 8 items to save money on.
Here is my list of items that I would not mind spending money on;
1. Good cooking set Cooking at home everyday will not only save you money, but you can make variety of food in healthier way too. Having a good cooking set that includes 2 skillets, a saucepan, a stockpot with lid will be good enough for most cooks. There are very reasonably priced anodized set available in most stores and if used properly, can last you years saving you money.
2. Education/Knowledge Knowledge is very important for all of us. Education is knowledge. It does not need to be from private school or ivy league college but from any good, above average school or college will do. Even those who make it rich without degree on paper, have keen sense of learning and yearning of knowledge. Sometimes spending money and time learning things that you are interested in, will give your career and self worth a huge boost.
3. Health/Medicine First step should be prevention from any health issues. However, if you still get sick, getting proper care and medicine is important and usually not time to save money on. Yes, I am all for getting generic drugs and home remedies but, here I am talking about getting care by medical staff, if you are in accident, need surgery or have complicated health issues. I believe health is greatest wealth,… Continue reading
Life is all about finding a simple harmony between heart and mind. Often time heart and mind wants same things, other times it is different things. Following is the list, that my mind likes to do, or want to learn more about it.
Check out 20 things that heart desires here to see the balanced view.
1. Being consumer and mortgage debt free 2. Automate my financial system 3. Save for retirement, kids college, emergency 4. Keep learning, for example sewing 5. Finish my MBA (I stopped after being mom) 6. Pursue Math and Science related learning 7. Put less impact on environment 8. Learn to Garden and compost well 9. Being thankful for things I have 10. Learn to make things at home, DIY instead of running to store for every little thing 11. Frugality 12. Teaching kids of all things money, compassion and caring 13. Using cash envelope system 14. Being content 15. Learn to forgive and forget 16. Not forgetting to laugh, when worry overcomes 17. Learn to enjoy silence, Do nothing, Not run after every “to do” lists. 18. Stop procrastinating 19. Focus on positives instead of negatives in life and people 20. Being patience, Take it slow.
This list has a lot of things, I am still learning and trying to practice everyday. It has been said, you need to do something for 21 days, continuously to make a habit. It is easier said than done. However, starting is a hard point, once most of us get started, each step gets easier.
How about you? What does your mind desires and are you already practicing it?
Life is all about finding a simple harmony between heart and mind. Often time heart and mind wants same things, other times it is different thingFollowing topics my heart likes or interested in learning more about, so I may explore it more in this blog. See here: 20 Things that mind desires.
1. Love and compassion towards all living being (Including animals, plants, insects) 2. Respecting individuality, religion, choices 3. Mushy and Classic Romantic stories and books 4. Mushy and Romantic Movies 5. Talking to friends, family and strangers 6. Learning new and old (history) stuff 7. Being lazy (at beach, at home, every where) 8. My two little adorable and busy bee kids 9. Zen guy’s silly jokes and dancing 10. Aroma of spices during cooking 11. Meditation and yoga 12. Oil Painting and sketching 13. Being crafty 14. Being worry free 15. Simplicity 16. Music and silly dancing, Bathroom singing 17. Giggling and laughing for no reason 18. Old fashioned way of slow cooking, home remedies 19. Nature hikes, Nature site seeing 20. Travel and learning from people
Some of the things I already practice, while other things in this list, I need to practice more to make a habit into my life. What does your heart like and desire? And are you already doing it?
Check out 20 things that mind desires article here.