Right now in down economy and lay off from jobs, many people are looking to earn bit more money to stretch their budget bit further. I am sure many of us know of these tips, these certainly are not new or invented now; our grand parents and great grand parents before have done a few of these tips to save money in their times as well. With new technology and internet, we have little different options for money savings and earning.
If you have not read other financial related posts; check it out below;
Now, let us look at a few ways to earn more income for you and your family. I have not tried them all, choose what works for your own circumstances, if you choose. I wanted to share some of the ideas that I gathered for our family.
Ways to Earn More Money:
1. Start a Blog:
Many people who start a blog, can make some money and a few lucky expert bloggers can make full time income from it. However, it is not easy to make money for many blogger like myself. I might be the rare blogger who does not make money yet. For some blogging can be part of passive -active income. To start a blog, one does not need to have money, you can start on free platform like wordpress or blogger to get it started on subject you are passionate about and something you think you can make money on.
2. Do baby Sitting:
If you have young kids already or like kids, baby sitting can be great choice to earn extra income. Many teenagers and adult can work either part time or full time baby sitting. I know someone who makes full time income watching young kids. One may have to spend money on getting proper license and house/place appropriate for young kids to get it started.
3. Sell unwanted items on Craigslist or ebay
Most of us have items laying around in our house, that we are not going to use again, such as kids outgrown toys, our skinny jeans that we wore when we were 16 (that we secretly wish to fit in to some day) and so on. We can make some extra money from clothes, toys, furniture, collectibles items sitting around in our garage or attic. Your house will be cleaner and you will make some money as well.
4. Sell Gold or Jewelry:
This tip has been very popular last year since gold prices have gone over $1000 per ounce. Now, this tip only works if you have gold or gold jewelry in your house. For many of us, we may not have any gold to sell, however this is great idea for a few who have gold and not using, nor wearing it.
5. Do Online surveys:
I have not done any but a few of blog friends I know swear by doing surveys to earn bit more money. Nothing much to retire on, but you have some have extra cash for rainy day or to pay bills. There are many sites out there for it.
6. Rent a room in your house
If you are living in a house with extra room, you can rent the room for extra income. Just make sure to charge right amount and set up rules and forms to make more easy to handle. I have not tried this tip yet but I know our friends have and they are happy and so is renter for cheap accommodation. If you are single and do not own house, you can save money by sharing a room or renting a room from someone.
7. Use your skill to earn money:
If you know how to fix computer, or write, or cook, you can provide these services to those who need it and charge small amount or large depending on your expertise to make extra income in your household.
8. Be Mystery Shopper:
I have done this type of job when I was still in college, basically what you do is shop at certain places where they ask you to and fill out an survey with receipt and you will get paid $10 for survey. Make sure you return the items as some items are not reimbursed. If you asked to survey a restaurant, some meals might be paid for. There are many mystery shopping companies around, look for one in your local area. You can find out more here: http://www.mysteryshop.org/
9. Recycle Metal or old cell phones:
Not everything can be recycled and not everything we recycle can make money but a few items can such as any metals or old cellphone (even broken ones) can be recycled at right places to make extra cash for you. You may want to check your local recycle organization and ask around to see how much can be made.
If you drink sodas or beer, those cans can be recycled for little cash as well.
10. Provide garden service
Any one of can do lawn mowing, if you have bit of time, you can start providing lawn mowing service to your neighbors and others. Some people can make $20-$30 for one lawn mowing time which takes about 20-30 minutes depending on size of the yard. While, we have not done to this to make money, we have used this service when we could not keep up with lawn maintenance ourselves, it is a win-win situation for both.
Other ways to Make Money?
Sure, there are many other ways to make money. I wanted to keep it simple and easy for any of us to start making some money and are legal.
- Do stock investing: day trading which much more active or even passive investing.
- Do freelancing job
- Web design services
- Running errands for people services: such as buying groceries, picking up kids from school.
- Sewing and alteration services
- Interior design ideas and services
- Painting houses/building
- Cleaning gutters
- Repairing (any type such as roof, plumping, electronics and so on)
- Part time job at office
- Medical transcript service
- Work at home ideas/mailing
- Opening bank accounts which offer free money to open account
- Earning interest on your money market or CDs accounts
- One can go through Kiva and loan money to others to make some money (may involve some risks)
- Forex : Money if you have skills and know how
- Multi level marketing : Be weary of many but there are some good and legitimate companies
- Putting pictures on flickr and other site : Pay per use
- Start writing for associate content, ehow, hubpages and squidoo to earn extra income.
- Be a ghost writer for others, you may not become famous but you may earn little money
- Write ebook and sell it on your website
- Start a business
- Teach a class (cooking, art, yoga something you know and can be valuable to others)
- Write and publish a book Through publisher or your DIY book sites
- Teach at local community college : evening class on subject you know about
- Clutter buster and organization services
- Financial and debt help ideas services
- Make and sell things at etsy, flea market and local festival
- Have garage sell
- Do lemonade stand (great for young to teenager kids)
- Find part time job elsewhere
Only our imagination can stop us, there are many ways to make extra money, all of them may not be possible for all of us. However, if you love and know about something very well and it is helpful to others, you might be able to make some or lot of money with it. I am not an expert on making money at all, I am going to learn along with you all.
Some Strange Way Some People Make Money
Do you have tips that you want to share with others? Please do so, as I am sure it will be helpful.
Image source: girlscout.org