I am writing a series of 101 small changes that we can make to our life quality better and build and lead more happier life that is in attune with our heart and mind. If you have not read previous posts, check it out below.
Even if you have never planted something your entire life, you can plant something small to start this season. Try it, I know I have been a plant destroyer in past, either I watered too much or watered too little and when my dear plant failed to thrive, I felt so sad. I learned slowly with my mom and Zenguy who are better gardner than I am. If I can overcome it, I know any one can.
Try with Tomatoes, as they are one of the easiest plant to grow. If you can not try it with seedlings, go to OSH, Home depot, or Any plant nursery near you and buy small tomato plant for your home. It will not matter if you live in apartment in 5th floor or have little garden space, as plant can grow on container or small square foot area. Growing in container is easy enough for many of us so let’s look at a few ways to get started on square foot garden.
Here are some simple ways to get started;
1. Pick a location on your balcony or front yard where you are getting lot of sunshine.
2. Make sure that area is safe from rain, your pets and kids.
3. Arrange your square yard in to squares, 4 by 4s and decide what to plant.
4. You can put rail road ties or bricks for border yourself.
5. Use potting soil with compost or make your own.
6. You can choose mix of vegetables and flowers in there. Make sure no one walks inside.
7. Dig a small hole and plant 1-2 seeds in each hole or buy small plants from nursery and replant them in soil.
8. Water slowly by hands, as not to wash out seeds from the soil.
9. Water everyday as needed and wait for few weeks before sprout comes.
10. Harvest during summer, add compost and replant different plants for different season. Repeat.
If you do not think you have enough space still or for unique way of planting, you can check out upside down tomato plants, which seems to grow wonderfully, I have not personally tried it so can not share details, here is a picture of it. If any of you know more about it, I would like to know your tips.
Best thing about this change is, it is green, good for environment and you will get to eat home grown salsa, tomato soup or whatever your crop may bring you. If you are already doing it, let me know what do you like best of planting or gardening, any tips and suggestions?
To see next 101 changes please click here –> 101 changes: change 5: Wake up smiling .
Upside down Tomato plant: www.tomatocasual.com
Square foot garden: catnorman.com
Container Tomato plant: www.growquest.com
101 changes: Change 3: Slow down- Slow blogging movement